Spring Choir Concert

Zoe Beaty, Reporter

The PHS choir held their annual spring concert on Wednesday, May 18th at the Krum auditorium.  Coming off a huge sweepstakes victory, the choir was ready to dazzle the audience with their vocal genius, and they did just that.  But they also had some surprises including a quartet of violinists including choir director, Ms. Madeline DeHart.  The performances as usual left the audience wanting more.

At the concert, our wonderful Ponder High School choir sang “J’entends le Moulin” , “Loco-Motion”, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy”, “El Vito”, “Black Bird”, “It Don’t Mean a Thing if it Ain’t Got That Swing”, and “Friends”.

Featuring; BELLA VOCE :Brittney Aguilera, Lizeth Ayala, Haylee Claytor, Makayla Cline, Danielle Cummings
Evelyn Gamboa, Skye Gill, Emerald Hansard, Eriona Hill, Celestia Lane, Summer Lane, Joslyn Major, Celistine Martinez, Lessli Morales, Victoria Roberts, Trinidee Shifflett, Nathaly Skidmore, Kate Stubbs, Molli Taft, Brigitte Tepezano, Shae Tuttle, Hayley Wiggins, Kiera Wirth.

CHAMBER: Eleanor Larson, Nyla Mills, Kelli Muncy, Addison Pickering, Karla Ramirez Velasquez, Luke Rowland,
Brannock Sorensen, Reagan Stewart, Haley Voelkel, Destiny Wolf,  Yadhira Alvarez*, Rachel Boyd, Synphanie Dennis, Lizbeth Fernandez, Bodi Gill, Madeleine Hale, Peyton Hoffmann.

The concert also wanted to shine the spotlight on our seniors who were to be commended for their leadership and guidance throughout the year. Following are the bios included in the program:

• Synphanie Dennis, also known as Sparky, plans on going to NCTC and Sam Huston after for forensic science. She has participated in solo and ensemble all three years and has received superior ratings for all. She has qualified for solo and ensemble state last year and this year. Her favorite choir memory would be just singing with other people that share the same passion as her, they are like family to her. <3
  • Bodi Gill- His plan after high school is to attend the University of North Texas as a Music Major with a focus on vocal performance. During his time in Choir he received multiple superior ratings on solo performances, and, in his senior year, went to state in the TMEA all-region competition. His favorite memory from choir is making Mrs. Lavacek cry while singing Pilgrim’s Hymn in the Dark.
  • Madeleine Hale- Maddie will be attending UNT next fall, and will be majoring in fashion design. This was Maddie’s first year in choir! This year she participated in solo and ensemble and got a 1 on her solo performance. She also participated in UIL. Her favorite memory in choir was her very first concert!
  • Eleanor Larson is planning to attend Abilene Christian University, Majoring in Accounting with a Minor in German Language and Culture. Since 2019, Eleanor has competed in Solo and Ensemble and All-Region for three years and made the Region Treble Choir in 2021. Eleanor will continue her choir journey in the ACU Choir where she has earned a scholarship as a Non-Vocal Major. Her favorite choir memory is singing the National Anthem with the choir at football games.
  • Kelli Muncy will be attending Texas Woman’s University and will pursue a degree in Music Education. She will be competing in State for Solo and Ensemble later this month. Her favorite choir memory is going to Miguelito’s with her friends and family after every Choir Concert.
  • Mollie Taft-Mollie will be attending Oklahoma Wesleyan University to continue her softball career and major in Psychology. Her favorite memory was coming into choir here at Ponder while everyone welcomed her and made her feel at home.
  • Haley Voelkel -She will be attending NCTC in Corinth, TX, and will major in Accounting and/or Business Management. Her favorite memory is getting straight one’s in UIL and for solo and ensemble.
  • Destiny Wolf-  Her plan after high school is to be a live media producer and a real estate photographer. Destiny has been in Chamber choir for 3 years, and she received a grade 1 rating on my solo at Solo and Ensemble each year. Her favorite memory was the day before Christmas break when we had a party and played Just Dance.

Congratulations to these seniors as they move forward into the next phase of their lives!