Senioritis: It’s That Time of Year

Senioritis: Its That Time of Year

Mason Pittman, Reporter

Senioritis is defined as a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.  As spring semester arrives, more and more high school seniors seem to be afflicted with this disease which seems to spread quickly and infect most of the class by May.  Some symptoms of this disease:

• Mild to moderate cases of staring out the window
  • Swollen ego
  • Homework fatigue
  • Inflammation of the whining gland
  • Acute mediocrity
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Excessive tardiness
  • Classroom intolerance
  • Excessive hallway wandering
  • Existential malaise

The causes can be rooted in anxiety of the future, but most likely are due to the fact that the students are tired of going to school as they have been doing for the last 12-13 years.  It is nice and warm outside and the end of their high school career is almost here, so of course they are ready to move on or just take a break.

To treat this disease, you can do two things.  The first is to give them a project to do that requires movement, working with their friends, and imagination.  This keeps them sharp and interested.  Letting them choose what to do helps, too.  They are about to graduate and go on to either jobs, college, or the military where they will make their own choices, so why not start now.  The second option is to just take them outside, shake things up a bit and teach outside.  Let them blow off some steam.  Do something fun in class occasionally to break up what they see as monotony.  It won’t hurt to stray from the curriculum for a day.

Unfortunately the only cure for this disease is graduation.  Once they have that diploma in hand and have walked across that stage, they will be miraculously cured.  Just. Like. That.