Lady Lions Basketball Split Games During Thanksgiving Break

Magen Dow, Reporter

While the rest of us were trying to stay as far away from the high school building as possible during thanksgiving break, the Lady Lions basketball team was working hard in preparing for their two upcoming games during the break on November 19 against Cedar Hill (TCA) and November 23 against Lake Dallas. As a result, the Lady Lions ended with a split winning against Cedar Hill (TCA) but sadly losing to Lake Dallas. Here are the more in-depth results of each game:

First up on the game schedule was the game vs. Cedar Hill (TCA) on Friday November 19. The Lady Lions gave Cedar Hill no hopes of winning against them by finishing victorious with a score of 72-43. During the first quarter, 22 Lady Lion points were made up against the mere 13 Cedar Hill points. The Lady Lions kept their scoring lead with scoring more points than Cedar Hill in the rest of the quarters by scoring 14 more points in the second quarter, 21 more points in the third quarter, and scoring a final 15 points to equal 72 total points against Cedar Hill’s 43 points. Tate Wells lead scoring with 23 points. Kassi Ballard and Kenzie Crider each came up with 16 points, Marlee Moynagh had 7 points, Devyn Weiland with  points, and Skye Gill and Everley Joplin each with 3 points. Up next, the game against 5A ranking Lake Dallas High School.

In the first quarter of the game vs. Lake Dallas, Ponder was in the lead scoring 16 points and Lake Dallas scoring only 8. Sadly however, the odds did not stay in Ponder’s favor, with Lake Dallas coming back leading scoring 17 points in the second quarter, 16 in the third, and 23 in the fourth. Our Lady Lions fought hard to take back the lead, but they fell short of winning with only scoring 15 points in the second quarter, 13 in the third, and only 8 in the last quarter. The final score was Lake Dallas 64, Ponder 52. The leading scorer was Tate Wells with 16 points. Kassi Ballard scored 13 points, Marlee Moynagh had 11 points, Kenzie Crider with 10 points, and Skye Gill with 2 points. Even though the score wasn’t what our Lady Lions basketball team and us P-town fans wanted, we are still so proud of them with playing so well up against a bigger school like Lake Dallas.

As for the JV against Lake Dallas, Ponder fought till the end and pushing the game into overtime, and finishing with a win with a score of 30-28. LiLee Newbanks was the leading scorer for this game with scoring 8 points. Olivia Todd scored 7 points, Sophia Vargas had 6 points, Kaelyn McWilliams with 4 points, Mallary Hancock with 3 points, and Ava Larson with 2 points. Great job JV!

Be sure to cheer on the Lady Lions at their next game on December 7 vs. Keller @Keller. Their next home game will be December 17 vs S&S, which is their first district game! P-town!