Lady Lions Fall to the Lady Cardinals

Mrs. Josselet, adviser

The PHS Lady Lion basketball team traveled to Plano to take on the John Paul II High School Lady Cardinals on November 9th.  The Lady Lions started off a bit sluggish and managed to only score 4 points to the Lady Cardinals 16, but gained momentum in the second quarter and outscored their opponent 13-12 bringing the half time score to 28-17.  The second half showed Ponder coming out on fire and leading the quarter 22-20 and brought the game to the closest margin of the night with a score of 40-37.  The fourth quarter the Lady Lions hit a slump managing to only score 11 points to the Lady Cardinals 22 taking the game with a final score of 62-48.   The Lady Lions were led by seniors,  Tate Wells with 21 points, Karly Ivy with 10 points, Kassi Ballard with 9 points, and Kenzie Crider with 6 points.  Junior Devyn Weiland contributed 2 points on the night, too.   Ponder is 1-1 on the season and will participate in the Colleyville Tournament November 11-13.  First game vs. Mansfield Summit @ 12:00pm

The JV Lady Lions had a barnburner of a game with a close finish.  The JV Lady Lions came out ready to go leading in the first quarter 6-4.  The second quarter had the JV Lady Cardinals coming back outscoring the Lady Lions 10-4, with a half time score of 14-10.  In the second half, the back and forth continued with John Paul on top in the third quarter 13-10 putting the score at 27-20, but Ponder came back in the last quarter to outscore their opponent 13-12.  However, it just wasn’t enough, and the Lady Lions lost a tough one 39-33.   The JV Lady Lions were led by freshman Olivia Todd with 8 points. Adding to the scoreboard were  sophomore Lilly Davis with 6 points,  freshman Eriona Hill with 6 points, Mallory Hancock with 4 points, Ava Larson with 4 points, Sophia Vargas with 3 points, and sophomore Kaelyn McWilliams with 2 points.