Ponder Lions Blast Bowie Jackrabbits on Senior Night

Brayden Annis, Reporter

The Ponder Lions had a memorable senior night, and they aren’t likely to forget it for years to come!  Ponder started of strong in the first half with the score being 32-6. Case Peacock led the team all night long having 258 yards and 12 receptions. Clifton Cooper also had a good game passing for 349 yards. The final score was 61-12. This is the most Ponder has ever put up on Bowie.  Before the game, the senior class was recognized in the following groups: football, trainers, cross country, cheerleaders, band, and drill team.  A great big thank you to all the Class of 2022 for their leadership through the years in all of these programs.  We will miss you all!

The JV also defeated Bowie, making it a clean sweep for the Ponder Lions.

Coach Threadgill:

Last night JV played in Bowie and won 24-6. Ponder scored four times; Cooper Reynolds scored on a QB sneak up the middle from the two yard line, Dakota Cherrier scored on a pass from a scrambling Cooper Reynolds, Brody Magruder scored on a run from just outside the red zone, and Dakota Cherrier scored on another long pass from Cooper Reynolds. Defense shut out the Jackrabbits until very late in the 4th quarter. Defense also forced 5 turnovers. Brody Magruder, Gianni Ice, and Brayden Annis all had interceptions and Andres Jimenez and Collin Ussery had fumble recoveries. JV has won two games in a row and is looking to make it 3-0 to finish the season against Paradise. Players of the game were the entire Offensive Line, Dakota Cherrier, and Cooper Reynolds, Defensive players of the game were Collin Ussery, Brayden Annis, Andres Jimenez.

The Freshman Football team took the Grapevine Mustangs and pulled out a low scoring win.

Coach Westbrook:

The Ponder Lions freshmen football team travelled to the Grapevine Mustangs on Thursday, October 28th . The first half was a low-scoring battle where both teams were able to come up with big plays when needed. Although the Lion offense was able to move the ball well, the Lions only carried a 2-0 lead into halftime. The second half began with more of the same: the Lion offense was able to move the ball while the defense came up with big plays to keep the Mustangs from scoring. Holding a 14- 8 lead with two minutes remaining, the Lions were able to stop the Mustangs on 4th & and 1 which ultimately sealed the victory for the Lions. The Lions were led by Clayton Cooper, Noah Adams, Ashtyn Castillo, Steven Pile, Blaine Turner, Gary Bishop, Charles Johnson, and Cody Nguyen.