Freshman Lions Maul the Raiders; JV Lions Come Up Short

Cherokee Farmer, Reporter

Last night, September 16th, both the freshman and JV football teams made a remarkable score against the teams they played. They played well and hard with the freshman team coming away with a win, but the JV falling a bit short after a tough battle.

Couch Westbrook said, “The Ponder Lions freshmen football team travelled to Wichita Falls on Thursday, September, 16th to take on the Rider Raiders. The Lions scored jumped out to an early lead and never look back. After being up 16-8 at the half, the Lions continued the scoring in the second half and ended the game with a final score of 34-8. The Lions were led offensively by Jimmy Camacho, Clayton Cooper, Johnny Arrellano, and Ashtyn Castillo. Defensively, the Lions were led by Steven Pile, Micah Gifford, and Nolan Durett. The Lions are now 3-1 on the season and will look to add their fourth victory to the record board when they travel to Sanger to take on the Indians Thursday, September 23rd.”

Coach Threadgill said, “Last night we played the Wichita Falls Rider JV team. Rider came out and scored first to make it 8-0. We scored on our first drive tying up the game. At half-time, the game was 16-22. Dakota Cherrier and Mitchell Nuziard both scored in the first half. The second half of the game, Rider scored another two times to put the score at 34-16. We fought back hard with our special teams scoring a touchdown from Mitchel Nuziard. Our offense scored again, with Justin John scoring on a run play. Defense played lights out in the 4th quarter, not allowing Rider a score. We fought back on offense to make the score 34-32 and it came down to the final drive, with us being stopped on the 30 yard line with time expiring. Overall, we are super proud of the boys. They fought hard all night. Players of the game are Mitchel Nuziard, Justin John, Alexander Dudley, Dakota Cherrier, and Colin Ussery.”