Lions Devour Mustangs

Brayden Annis, Reporter

The Ponder Lions got the fire rolling by defeating Cityview 22-16 making them 2-0. The first half started off slow with the Lions only scoring 6 by a 20 yard run from Clifton Cooper with the extra point by Jacob Rios making the score 7-16. The Lions picked it up in the second half holding Cityview’s offense and scoring 2 touchdowns. The first touchdown was  a 6 yard run by Zane Cassidy. The second was a pass from Cooper to  Graham Whitewood for 32 yards making the score 22-16 lions.

The JV also had a victory on City View beating them them 22-7. Following are Coach Threadgill’s comments:

Coach Threadgill: We traveled to City View and won 22-7. Offense scored twice in the 4th quarter to seal the win. Defense played lights out, only giving up one touchdown. The defense was led by Isaac Sosa and Colin Ussery. Offense was led by Brannok Sorrenson and Mitchell Nuziard. Everyone played great and stayed healthy

The freshman team had a great game against Lake Dallas beating them 20-14, and Coach Westbrook had this to say: The Ponder Lions freshmen football team hosted Lake Dallas on Thursday, September 2nd.  After trading scores to start the game, the Lions took the lead in the 2nd quarter and never looked back. Offensively, the Lions were led by Clayton Cooper, Jimmy Camacho, and Mason McShan, with all three players contributing to the Lions’ 20 points.  Blaine Turner, Tyler Roberts, and Noah Adams led the Lion defense to multiple red zone stops and held tight during Lake Dallas’ final push in the 4th quarter.

Great job Lions!  All teams are 2-0, and off to a super start!!  Let’s  #Lightthefire