Lady Lions Get Stung by Yellowjackets

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Lions Get Stung by Yellowjackets

Taylor Saltzman, Reporter

Lady Lions basketball advanced to the second round of playoffs, area round, at Princeton and played with total heart and love for the game. With 2 missing starters that game, Jada Gonzalez and Karly Ivy, the Ponder girls played a very close game against Mineola but ended up with a devastating loss 44-48.  The Lady Lions were leading the Yellowjackets by 1 point making the score 16-15 in the 2nd quarter. After that quarter, Ponder found it hard to score or as Coach Avery stated, “Early on, the shots were going in, we got up big and then we got stuck on 16. That’s what we do sometimes, we get stuck on a number.”  With the season coming to a close Coach Avery stated, We just have big hearts. They play hard and never give up. What got us beat tonight is what we’ve fought all year long — sometimes the shots just don’t go in for us. It’s really hard to beat a good team like Mineola when your shots aren’t going in.”  Even though the Lady Lions came up short in their playoff run, they didn’t come up short in accolades.   The team was well represented in district awards with Kaia Williams winning the highest honor, MVP for the district.  Making first team all-district were senior, Leigh Medders, junior, Kelley Akins, and freshman, Karly Ivy. Second team all-district honors went to seniors, Harley Bridges and Jada Gonzales.  Rounding out the team’s awards were freshmen Marlee Moynagh, Kassi Ballard, and Tate Wells who all received Honorable Mention.  What a great season, ladies!