• May 205/23- Last Day of School- YAY!

• May 205/23- FFA Banquet- 6:30

• May 205/22-5/23- Final Exams and Early Release Days

• May 205/20- Graduation @ UNT Coliseum- 7:00 p.m.- Project Graduation to follow at Andy B's

Lady Lions Fall Short in Intense Battle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Lions Fall Short in Intense Battle

Hayden Simmons, Sports Reporter

On Tuesday, November 6th, the Lady Lions Volleyball team traveled to Denton Braswell High School to take on district rival Gunter in the regional quarterfinal round of the playoffs. The Lady Lions got the best of Gunter in their two regular season match ups and now played them with a trip to the regional tournament on the line. The opening set let you know it was going to be a fantastic match, with the teams trading big blows early and the Lady Lions coming out on top 25-21. Gunter was able to turn the tables in set two, winning by the same score 25-21. In set three the Lady Lions really applied the pressure, and took a 25-17 set win putting them one set away from regional’s. Gunter refused to go down without a fight, taking set 4 25-20 and sending it to a deciding 5th set with the season on the line for both teams. It was back and forth, but in the end Gunter edged the Lady Lions 16-14 in overtime in the deciding set. The game was definitely one for the history books and will go down as one of the most exciting yet tragic games we have seen in Ponder.

The Lady Lions volleyball team bids farewell to 5 beloved seniors. Meagan Cope, the one you could always rely on and the team leader in kills this season averaging 9.6 per game. Caroline Hicks, a four-year varsity player who always brought an intimidating front-row presence and a great attitude. Sadie Dearing, another four-year varsity player who always brought her devastating serve and averaged 1.3 aces per game this season to lead the team. McKayla Pittman, a warrior who always brought toughness and grit in the back row and never lacked hustle. And Brittney Nichols, a bright spot at all times for the team who could bring the hammer down on the front row. The team will miss these seniors dearly and will return 5 girls to the varsity team including Sophomore Harper Mulkey, who led the team in kills in the playoffs. The team finished with a record of 33-12 and capped off another fantastic season with a great and exciting playoff run. We cannot wait to see these girls in action again next season.

• Lady Lions Fall Short in Intense Battle

Sports

2019 All Sports Banquet

Sports

Arterberry Takes a Bite Out of State

Sports

Bass Team Competes at State

Sports

Arterberry Hurdles Regional; Headed to Austin

Sports

Ponder Baseball Falls to Van Alstyne

Sports

Arterberry Goes To State

Sports

Ponder Baseball in the Playoffs

Sports

Lady Lions Season Comes to a Close

Sports

What a way to end the Golf season!

Sports

Bass Team at State

Lady Lions Fall Short in Intense Battle