• September 169/22- JV Volleyball Tournament @ Valley View

• September 169/21- Football @ S&S-7:30; Volleyball vs. Pottsboro- 4:30

• September 169/20- JV Football vs. S & S - 5:30; Cross Country @ Haltom City

• September 169/18- Volleyball @ Pilot Point- 5:00 p.m.

Advice for College Freshman

Sadie Dearing, Reporter

The Class of 2018 is about to embark on a new chapter of their lives.  In order to help guide them on their new journey into college, here are some tips from

https://kimtented.tumblr.com/post/119831487736/always-go-to-class-a-lot-of-bloggers-will-debate

Here are 15 tips all college freshman need to know.

1. Always go to class. A lot of bloggers will debate this one, but I think it’s essential. You never know when the professor will drop a crucial test hint, or give out extra credit for attendance.
  2. If you have to choose between a double major and getting involved on campus, get involved. All the knowledge in the world won’t help you if you come out of college with no experience or professional relationships.
  3. ALWAYS back up your files. Google Drive (along with their Backup and Sync tool) makes this easy as can be. With a free plan that includes 15gb of storage (not to mention apps like Docs and Sheets), it’s the best option for students.
  4. Make sure your computer is protected against malware. If you have Windows 8 or 10, you should already have Windows Defender (but make sure it’s on and up-to-date). For further protection, you can pair that with the free version of Malwarbytes. It also doesn’t hurt to install an ad blocker like Ublock Origin (which is what I use in order to block malicious ads before they even get the chance to load – you can always whitelist the sites you trust if you want to support them.
  5. Learn to do your taxes and your FASFA yourself, instead of letting your parents do it. Knowing how to handle these things will prepare you for life after college.
  6. Get a bank account with a bank in town. It can be really inconvenient having to wait for Mom to send cash, and it teaches you to manage your own finances (I’ve written a full guide on budgeting in if you want to learn more).
  7. Get a credit card, and make all your month’s purchases on it up to 20% of the card’s balance. This will help to start building your credit. If you start spending more, or can’t pay the balance in full for even one month, tear the card up.
  8. Bring enough clothing to school with you that you can go two weeks between washings. This will save you money in the long run.
  9. Never leave your clothes in a washer after the cycle is over. Be there to take them out a minute before the cycle ends. Not doing this is rude, and people WILL pull your clothes out and set them somewhere.
  10. If you have new colored clothes, wash colors separately from whites the first few times you wear them. Otherwise, toss ’em all in the same load if they’ll fit.
  11. Try not to drink too much caffeine. It’s really not good for you (it caused pretty bad acne for me), and you can get energy by staying well-hydrated, eating healthy foods, and sleeping enough.
  12. If you’re having issues with your roommate, talk about them. Don’t let them build up to the point where you can’t stand each other.
  13. Get a part time job, preferably doing something that relates to your major. If you can, work in the early morning – you’d just be sleeping otherwise. I’ve found that having a job actually helped with my time management when I first started school.
  14. If you can’t find a part-time job that relates to your major, look for a “warm-body” job – one that allows you to do homework while working. Some examples would be working at the desk of the library or the athletic center.
  15. If your school offers a position that helps with summer orientation for incoming students, apply for it. This kind of job will build your confidence and communication skills like none other.

301total visits,2visits today

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Way To Kick Off Our First Pep Rally

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Meet the Lady Singing Her Way Into the School

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

There is a New Teacher on the Block- Miss Neighbors!

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Meet Coach Reynolds

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Eichen See a New Future

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

No Limits to Showing Animals

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Take a Bow for Ms.Bowman!

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

Coach is Here for the Long Run

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

The Gentle Giant of Ponder

• Advice for College Freshman

PHS Life

New Beginnings for Spanish!

Advice for College Freshman